It might seem that your Aberdeen Personal Trainer turns up to each session and effortlessly knows exactly what you need to be doing and what you need to change each week – they make it look easy! But the truth is it takes a of skill and organisation to create tailored plans for each individual client, and to know exactly where each client is up to with their own personal goals. We have put together a little insight into how our Aberdeen personal trainer creates their unique plans and exactly what goes into designing a fitness programme.
The first, and probably most important step is to listen to the customer. When you find a personal trainer in Aberdeen, you want to make sure that they understand your health and fitness goals. There is a reason that every training plan is somewhat unique, besides, not everyone has the same end goal. Your personal trainer in Aberdeen will begin by asking questions in the initial assessment, and then listening to what your goals are, and where you want to be by the end of the sessions. Some example questions are:
- What are your end goals?
- What is motivating you?
- Have you tried to reach these goals before?
- Do you have any health problems or injuries?
So, once our Aberdeen personal trainer has asked all the initial questions and listened to your answers, the next part is to understand what needs to come next. Your local personal trainers will try to understand you as an individual – from your routines, eating habits and your workout schedule. All of this will be taken into consideration when developing your plan, to ensure you have the best chance of reaching your goal.
Some customers think that they will start exercising and feeling results immediately, but the first session, although often the most important, doesn’t necessarily always result in improvements in fitness, health, well-being or even mindset. There is no point starting with exercises and workouts if you won’t be able to keep up, or if it is focusing on the wrong areas. Your personal trainer in Aberdeen needs to have a good understanding of you as a person before they put together your plan.
Once you have discussed your ultimate goals and needs from our personal trainer, the physical aspect can begin! Our local personal trainers will develop a workout programme to suit you, and a successful plan usually has the following elements:
- Determine which exercises will help the customer to achieve their goals,
- Those exercises will then be put into a fitness assessment to help understand where you are currently,
- Based on your performance in the assessment your Aberdeen Personal Trainer will develop a programme that aims to improve targeted areas.
- You may be asked to take the same tests on a consistent basis to realise your progress,
- The plan will be adapted following each test, to ensure that your programme is still suitable.
This plan will be repeated for as long as you have a personal trainer, to make sure that you are keeping on track and that your fitness level is improving.
This is another key element. It is crucially important that you communicate regularly with your Aberdeen Personal Trainer. What works for one person might not work as well for someone else. Your personal trainer may also ask you to follow the training plans when you are working out on your own, outside of sessions – to make sure that you understand the exercises and are able to complete them by yourself. We welcome communication at any time if you are lacking motivation or you need guidance when you are not in the training sessions.
Feedback is an essential part of personal training. We need to be able to see what is working and what is not – if your body isn’t responding to a particular exercise then we need to be able to change it accordingly. Without feedback, your personal trainer will not know that you can’t do that many reps on your own, or that you are struggling with certain exercises. It also works if you are finding something too easy! It is our job as local personal trainers to incorporate different exercises or amplify your routine!
Step by Step
When you are beginning a new training programme, it is our job as qualified personal trainers in Aberdeen to guide you through everything step by step. It is important to work through the programme slowly to start with, so you can ask any questions and make sure that you understand each exercise or stretch and what they are targeting. It also encourages proper resting to make sure that you aren’t over-training and over-exerting yourself if you are not used to exercising. Together, we can work through the plan and make sure that you reach your end goals.
What will a training plan include?
As you know, each training plan is unique and tailored to you as an individual. You can expect your training plan to include some of the following, unless you are training for something specific like a sport or a marathon. Some examples of training programmes include:
- Warm-up and Stretches – no matter what level of fitness you are or what experience you have, our Aberdeen personal trainers will begin workouts and routines with proper warm ups and stretches. You need to make sure that your body is warmed up, so as to improve performance and help to reduce the risk of injury.
- Aerobic exercise – personal training programmes don’t always include exercises of this kind, but your personal trainer in Aberdeen may develop a plan that involves some aerobic exercises for your routines if he feels it is necessary.
- Resistance training – Often you will hear about resistance training in gyms, where it’s all about “gains”. Personal training sessions with us will depend on what your fitness levels and goals are. Resistance-based training may not always be involved.
- Strength training – for customers who are aiming to build strength your local personal trainers may focus on heavier lifts with longer resting periods.
- Post workout stretching – post workout stretching is extremely important as it aids recovery, and greatly reduces the risk of injury.
So, whilst our personal trainers in Aberdeen make it look easy when we turn up to your session, there is a lot of hard work involved in getting to good fitness levels. And creating tailored training programmes is difficult work!
As personal trainers, we need to make sure that we understand the clients goals and create a plan that works for them. This means being constantly on the ball with each customer to make sure that we can make changes when needed and keep up to date with their progress. If you are looking to find a personal trainer in Aberdeen, make sure you get in contact today to start your health and fitness journey!